January 15, 2019The Big Shoulders Fund Tax Credit Scholarship Program As you may know, Big Shoulders Fund participated as an approved Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO) in the first year of the Tax Credit Scholarship Program, made possible by the Illinois Invest in Kids Act. In year one, Big Shoulders awarded nearly $8M in scholarships to more than 1,300 students attending 110 schools. We are gearing up to do the same this year with our application for families opening on January 22, 2019 at 8 am (visit bigshouldersfundsgo.org for more information). In effort to better gauge the impact of this new program, Big Shoulders Fund sent an anonymous survey to the parents/guardians of all Tax Credit Scholarship recipients and this is what you had to say:
“The Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship has made a difference in my son’s life, my life, and has made it possible for a lot of families to afford Catholic/private education. In light of the violence being plagued by the city of Chicago, it is a true blessing to know I can afford to send my son to a school that is not only safe, but teaching him to be a productive citizen. I am forever grateful. Thank you!“
“I would like to thank you for supporting this amazing initiative. Many children, including my son, are able to benefit from an exceptional educational opportunity because of your support. I am extremely grateful and hope that you continue to make a positive impact in children’s educational endeavors.”
October 10, 2018 MythBusters: Catholic School Edition MythBusters is a popular television show that validates or discredits popular myths. Below we take a look at some common perceptions about Catholic schools. Continue reading to learn what is fact vs. fiction in the schools Big Shoulders Fund supports.
- You have to be Catholic to enroll in a Catholic School.
MYTH: You do not have to be Catholic to enroll. In fact, 1/3 of students enrolled in Big Shoulders schools are non-Catholic. In some of our schools, more than 90 percent of the students are NOT Catholic. Being Catholic is not a requirement for admissions in any of our schools.
- Graduates of Catholic schools have higher high school graduation rates, enroll in college at higher rates, and are more engaged in their community than their peers enrolled in public schools.
- 96% attendance rate
- Elementary students beat national averages for growth on standardized assessments
- 85% of Big Shoulders Fund scholars choose to attend a Catholic or selective/quality public school
- 95% high school graduation rate
- 85% graduating scholars enroll in college
- Alumni graduate from college at nearly 2x the national rate
- 99% of students who attend Catholic high school graduate. Of those, 88% attend 4-year colleges (NCEA).
- The achievement gap is smaller in faith-based schools (Jeynes, 2007; Marks & Lee, 1989).
- Catholic schools tend to produce graduates who are more civically engaged, more tolerant for diverse views, and more committed to service as adults (Campbell, 2001; Greeley & Rossi, 1966; Greene, 1998; Wolf, Greene, Kleitz, & Thalhammer, 2001).
- Catholic Schools are only for wealthy families.
- It is nearly impossible to get accepted in a Catholic school.
September 17, 2018
Back to School Photo ContestThanks to everyone who participated in our Discover the Difference – Back to School photo contest. We loved seeing so many happy students and families. The Big Shoulders Fund Difference is alive throughout Chicago in our loving school communities. These photos capture the spirit of our schools – places where students have a safe space to explore their talents and develop a strong academic foundation. It’s no coincidence that 85% of graduating Big Shoulders Fund scholars enroll in college and our alumni graduate from college at 2X the national rate. Our high schools have a 95% high school graduation rate and, last year, 74% of Big Shoulders Fund scholars who had renewable scholarships throughout elementary school, continued on to a Catholic, selective enrollment, International Baccalaureate or magnet high school. It was nearly impossible to pick a winner for our Back to School Photo Contest, but our esteemed Big Shoulders Fund staff selected the following winners: First Place: Runners Up:
August 22, 2018
Change Your Child’s Life TODAY: Enroll at a Big Shoulders Fund SchoolBy Maria Ippolito For over 30 years, Big Shoulders Fund has been a consistent source of support in Chicago’s inner-city Catholic schools by supporting four major areas – scholarships and enrichment, operational improvements, academic programs, and leadership development. Big Shoulders Fund schools are delivering an excellent educational option to families in the city by strengthening schools and communities and preparing students for long term success – as evidenced by the track record of success demonstrated by our scholars. Here are 10 reasons to enroll in a Big Shoulders Fund school today.
- Scholarships and financial aid are widely available making tuition affordable. This year, Big Shoulders Fund will support approximately 5,500 students through our traditionally funded scholarship programs and Tax Credit Scholarship Program.
- Schools’ Early Childhood Programs often cost less than local day cares and they provide toddlers with a strong foundation for lifelong learning, including cognitive and social development.
- 85% of graduating seniors enroll in college and our alumni graduate from college at 2X the national rate.
- 85% of our scholars choose to attend a Catholic, selective enrollment, International Baccalaureate or magnet high school. Big Shoulders Fund high schools have a 95% high school graduation rate.
- Schools offer small class sizes which allow for individualized attention from teachers.
- Schools teach character development, values, and the importance of service to others.
- Teachers participate in multiple professional development opportunities throughout the school year and adapt teaching styles to cater to students’ diverse learning needs.
- Innovative and advanced academic programming that prepares students for the jobs and demands of the 21st century.
- Our partnerships with world-class organizations offer one-of-a kind opportunities to scholars. For example, our entrepreneurship and stockmarket program help to prepare scholars for a financially healthy and secure future.
- Our annual Early High School Bridge Program and College Symposium help to prepare scholars for the next step in their academic careers.
August 7, 2018
Opportunity ScholarshipBig Shoulders Fund has launched a new scholarship program that will open doors for over 1,000 new students. The Opportunity Scholarship will allow new families to receive a quality, values-based education at one of our participating Big Shoulders Fund schools. This scholarship will provide up to $1,500 off yearly tuition and is renewable for up to 3 years. Many of our schools also offer their own tuition assistance programs for families seeking additional support. Applying is easy! Click here to view the map of participating Big Shoulders Fund Schools. We encourage you to find a school near you and contact them directly about the possibility of receiving an Opportunity Scholarship. To qualify you must:
- Enroll at a participating Big Shoulders Fund school*
- Be new to the Catholic school system
- Your child must be enrolled in an eligible grade (K – 8)
- In the last decade, over $60 million to 50,000 scholars
- The largest private k-12 scholarship program in Illinois
- Over 30 years of impact raising over $300 million
- Proven track record of scholar success in high school & beyond